Federal Regulation 29CFR1910.1030 states that no employee can be placed in a position to be exposed to blood spills without first:
1. Receiving blood borne pathogen (BBP) training.
2. Having a written BBP exposure control plan.
3. Having been provided personal protective equipment.
4. Having been offered Hepatitis B vaccine, exposure evaluation and follow-up.
5. Being provided with a method to remove and properly store the bio-hazardous waste in properly marked containers for disposal at an approved site
Only after these five conditions have been met can an employee be allowed by his or her employer to clean a bio-hazardous crime scene.